Get set for the largest poetry slam in Australia
Bankstown Poetry Slam is a community PLATFORM which empowers PEOPLE to express themselves through spoken word poetry.
heralding in over 300 people each month, bps has featured renowned local and international artists including rupi kaur, rudy fransisco, luka lesson, candy royalle and omar musa.
bps also runs workshops, performances and programs at high schools and other events.
A YEAR IN REVIEW
2017 marked our biggest year to date. Here's just some of what we achieved:
- Facilitated free monthly slams and public workshops
- Hosted SummerJams, an outdoor open-mic night
- Started Flip The Script, a monthly open-mic night for young people
- Received a Community Service Award by the Hon. Jason Clare and a ZEST Award for Outstanding Project Promoting Social Cohesion and Community Harmony
- Launched our first ‘Slamily’ membership packages
- Published an anthology, The Resurrection
- Coordinated a spoken-word theatre show, Write Here Write Now
- Hosted 3 events for Sydney Writers Fest
- Featured 3 international poets including Rupi Kaur, Rudy Francisco and Sierra DeMulder
- Coordinated Real Talk, a high school program and interschool poetry slam
- Launched Hakayet, a storytelling night
- Performed at Parliament House in Canberra
- Sold out our third annual Grand Slam at Sydney Town Hall with over 650 attendees
- Featured at conferences, festivals and events including Queensland Poetry Festival, Fringe Festival, WSU’s Diversity Fest, TEDx Sydney, The Plot and more.